Friday, January 20, 2012

my first classics

I am reading the Classics for the first time.  I love it.

While the definition of classic literature can be highly debated, I generally think of it as stories, poetry, speeches, documents and studies that have stood the test of time, as worth reading more than once, and as having some redeeming value.

Over the last two years or so, my life has been greatly enriched by the following reading.

Heidi (Spyri)
Tom Sawyer (Twain)
Pride & Prejudice (Austen)
Emma (Austen)
The Secret Garden (Burnett)
A Christmas Carol (Dickens)
Uncle Tom's Cabin (Stowe)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (Orczy)
Strong Poison (Sayers)
Sherlock Holmes:  The Adventure of the Speckled Band (Doyle)
The Constitution of the United States of America
The Bill of Rights
The Declaration of Independence
Mr. Popper's Penguins (Atwater)
The Blue Castle (Montgomery)
The Hobbit (Tolkien)
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Robinson)
Poetry (Various)
Tales from Shakespeare (Various) (Lamb)
Abigail Adams: First Lady of Faith & Courage (Witter)
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (Latham)


I guess, I can say that I read a couple of classic series before these...  The Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis) and The Little House on the Prairie (Wilder) were much loved boxed sets in my home as a child.


I am currently reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Baum) as I prepare to see the stage show and Journey to the Center of the Earth (Verne) with my children who recently saw the movie... and loved it!

I am a part of a book club, too.  We are making our way through books like these, one classic novel a month.  I hope you pick up a Classic and read along with me.

You won't be disappointed,
lib

No comments:

Post a Comment