Thursday, January 19, 2012

georgia o'keeffe: painter of skyscrapers

Radiator Building, Night, New York , 1927, Georgia  O'Keeffe

I have studied enough art to associate the famed painter Georgia O'Keeffe with remarkable portraits of colorfully magnified flowers.  But I recently learned that she was also known for her New York cityscapes and skyscrapers.

City Night , 1926, Georgia O'Keeffe

Stunning!  She painted these in the 1920's.

New York Night , 1928-1929, Georgia O'Keeffe

Oh, the glamour!  

Brooklyn Bridge, 1949, Georgia O'Keeffe

The strength!  But, as we know, man's fortitude could not last.  With the stock market crash of 1929, O'Keeffe stopped painting the city.  The images had become reminders of failure.

I'm so pleased to have discovered these gems of art!

And I'm glad that New York recovered after the Great Depression and is still vibrant nearly 75 years later.

I kind of have a thing for that city,
lib

No comments:

Post a Comment